Nucaro food colours
Nucaro is a range of high quality beta-carotene products to be used as a food colour or as a source of provitamin A in food and food supplements.
Beta-carotene in food
Many processed foods such as edible oils and fats, dairy products, soft drinks, snack foods, jams/jellies, gelatins and bakery products contain added food colours for a variety of reasons.
The right colour is of critical importance for the success of food and has a decisive influence on the assessment of a product. Its colour is used for judgments about the quality and the character of a foodstuff, an attractive colour suggests freshness and can even change the expectations of the taste.
Besides its function as a colouring agent, beta-carotene also has some additional functions. In the body, beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A, and is the most important source of provitamin A in food.
Together with vitamins E and C, beta-carotene also acts as an antioxidant and may reduce risk of certain chronic diseases by preventing damage caused by free radicals.
Functions of Nucaro beta-carotene
- reinforce or enhance colours naturally occuring in foods
- ensure consistency of colour by correcting natural variations in colour
- restore colour loss due to exposure to light, air, temperature extremes, moisture and storage conditions
- provide colour to colourless and “fun” foods
- provide a source of provitamin A in food and food supplements
- act as an antioxidant